A new feature with Cairo-Dock 2 : OpenGL support
With Cairo-Dock 2.0 version, you can choose between using Cairo-Dock with or without OpenGL.
With OpenGL, the use of your video card is maximized and the dock with many effects and plug-ins is fluid all the time even with a CPU under heavy load!
Unfortunately all ATI and many Intel cards don't support the OpenGL v2 as well as Nvidia cards (it seems to be resolved for Intel cards on Ubuntu Karmic / Fedora 12). For the owner of ATI or Intel video card, for which DRI2 support is under development, as well as for the legacy video card which do no support OpenGL v2, the Cairo back-end is still available. This allow everybody to be able to enjoy most of the dock's improvements and the new applets. But, this drivers are improving every day and we hope that you can use Cairo-Dock with OpenGL with every graphics cards!
Note that with the "same" config of AWN and Cairo-Dock without OpenGL, Cairo-Dock use less CPU than AWN.
Running cairo-dockThere are several ways to run cairo-dock. To do a standard run, issue
The first time your run cairo-dock, a startup message will prompt you to run it using OpenGL backend or Cario backend. Cairo-dock remembers your choice for later sessions. You can also specify which backend to use when running cairo-dock - specifying a backend will also suppress the startup message.
Run with OpenGL backend
Run with Cario backend
All ATI card owners must use this option when runnning cario-dock.
Running cairo-dock in GNOMEA launcher is created in System Tools. For example with Gnome :
- Go to Applications / System Tools / Cairo-Dock or GlxDock (Cairo-Dock with OpenGL)
- Or Press Alt + F2 and type cairo-dock in the box that opened then validate.
Running cairo-dock at startup
GnomeMenu : "System" / "Preferences" / "Sessions" or "Startup application" / "Add"
In the name field, type in Cairo-Dock and in the command field, add the above command that matches your configuration
Do not enable the option that save the current running programs, otherwise, two docks will be executed.
- "Kde Control center" / "Kde components" / "Add"
- Or "Configure your desktop" / "Advanced" tab / "Autostart" / "Add a program" ; In the browser, find "Tools" / "System tools" "GLX-Dock (Cairo dock with OpenGl)".
XFCEMenu : "Settings" / "Session and startup" / "Application autostart" tab / "Add"
Append the following in your ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh
Log out and log back in.
Alt. 2 (not verified)
Right-click the dock > Cairo Dock > Start Cario Dock Automatically. Log out and log back in.
BerylWith Beryl, Cairo-Dock is on only one cube face
Cairo-dock can sometimes have a curious behaviour, although a next execution would perfectly work.
It is then recommended to run Cairo-dock with a delay
sh -c "sleep 15 && cairo-dock -o"
Adapt this code to needs and your computer (this example will wait for 15, and run with OpenGL backend).
Two docks at startup?Do not save your running programs when logging off.
- For Gnome: In the menu "System" / "Preferences" / "Sessions" or "Startup applications" , "Options" tab, do not enable "Remember running applications..."
- For KDE: Go to "Configure your desktop" / "Advanced" tab / "Session manager" and in the section "At login" tick "Start with an empty session"
- For XFCE: Go to your Session Manager in order to disable this option. If you have two docks at startup and this option is disabled, simply remove the cache:
CustomizationIf you have any problems (normally ) you can see how to customize easily your favorite dock in the next section : Customization.
Recurrent problemsA black background? Problem with (S)Mplayer or VirtualBox?
See this section : Recurrent problems
Cairo-Dock works on LinuxSeveral research on the web shows that some people have been able to use the dock on a few Linux distributions:
- Ubuntu/Debian (Cairo-Dock is developed on that distribution)
As well as a few windows manager:
- Gnome (of course with Gnome-integration plug-in)
- Xfce (of course with xfce-integration plug-in)
So if you have any problems (except these recurrent problems) please report your bug on our forum.
Also if you have some ideas, propositions, new applets, etc. ! Don't be shy !