- F.A.Q one question one answer
A black background ?
- ATI cards : try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Drivers aren't correct !
- Intel cards : some of them work with OpenGL (see the follow section) or try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Some drivers aren't correct !
- KDE4 : launch systemsettings and do that : Look & Feel --> Desktop --> Desktop Effects --> Enable Desktop Effects. You can also have a look to this post: here.
- Gnome without Compiz (just with Metacity) : apply this command from a terminal :
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager true
- XFCE with its Window Manager (XFWM): simply go to Applications / Parameters / Parameters Editor / XFWM4 module / General tab / Enable use_compositing (turn it to TRUE)
- More details : Composite Manager
A black background? Invisible icons?
- Intel cards: Cairo-Dock with OpenGL support seems to be "fully" supported, more informations here
- Nvidia cards : It has worked for a long time! More informations here
- ATI cards : Cairo-Dock with OpenGL support seems to be "fully" supported, more informations here
- But you can use Cairo-Dock with a fake transparency in the System menu in the config panel of Cairo-Dock (or by using it with a black wallpaper )
(S)MPlayer and KaffeineIf you have any problem with (S)MPlayer or Kaffeine:
- Try to put the video output to gl2 (in the settings of SMPlayer)
- Or use this command to launch (S)MPlayer (adapt for Kaffeine):
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && smplayer &
env XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 smplayer &
sh -c "env XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 smplayer"
Others apps based on Qt4 like VirtualBox, Skype, VLC(for VLC, there was a bug only if the option 'Integrate video in interface' is enabled and vlc devs have added this workaround into the application)
- It's the same problem that (S)MPlayer, so you can use this command in order to launch your application, e.g.:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype
- But you can also make a little script:
- Create a file with the extention ".sh" (launch_virtualbox.sh for example)
- Add these two lines :
- Change the right execution (Right clic on the file / Properties / Permissions / Execution => or directly :
chmod +x launch_virtualbox.sh
- Use this file to execute this app.
- Or edit the launcher and use a command like this one:
sh -c "env XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 kaffeine"
Problem with installation / update ?If you have something like this:
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/cairo-dock/default-indicator.png', which is also in package cairo-dock-data
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cairo-dock_2.0.0_all.deb: tentative de remplacement de « /usr/share/cairo-dock/icon-mouse.png », qui appartient aussi au paquet cairo-dock-data.
You need to do the following :
sudo apt-get remove cairo-dock* --purge
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
Problem to change/save your configuration ?It could be a permission problem:
chmod u+rwx -R ~/.config/cairo-dock/
Problem with a gauge ?If you have an output like this:
xterm -e ' wget "http://themes.glx-dock.org/gauges/turbo-night-fuel/turbo-night-fuel.tar.gz" -O "/tmp/cairo-dock-net-file.AfLFEO" -t 2 -T 5'
Just swap gauges in your enabled plugins with it s equivalent starting with capital letter (eg. turbo-night-fuel => Turbo-night-fuel).
Problem with wifi applet ?
It's a problem of access right to iwconfig command.
As root (root = sudo for Ubuntu for example), do this commands in a terminal:
chmod u+x /sbin/iwconfig # or "chmod 755 /sbin/iwconfig" if it still doesn't work
ln -s /sbin/iwconfig /usr/bin/iwconfig
Problem when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically ?
If you have some bugs when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically at startup and not when it's launched manually : Try to launch it with a delay.
In your session manager (help here), use this command :
sh -c "sleep 15 && cairo-dock -o"
Change any parameters according to your configuration (here we have 15 seconds and Cairo-Dock with OpenGL)
A message at startup / Two Docks at startup
Read it or go here for more help !
And if you have two docks at startup: Execute cairo-dock at startup
No theme available?
ProxyDo you use a proxy to be connected to Internet? If yes, you have to configure Curl.
It's easy, edit (or create) this file '~/.curlrc', e.g. with gedit :Past these informations and modify the last line with the complete URL of your proxy :
If you have to use an username and a password, add this line :
#We want a 30 minute timeout:
#. .. and we use a proxy for all accesses:
proxy = proxy.our.domain.com:8080
Old releaseAfter a problem with our registrar (vivadomaine) we have to change our domain name. So if you use an older version that the 2.1.3, please update it !
Something else?Maybe your connexion is too slow (or you're too far from our server), open the config panel of Cairo-Dock (right click on the dock / Cairo-Dock / Settings), click on the Advanced Mode (on the bottom-left) / System module / Connexion to the server / and increase all numbers.
No icon on menu, GMenu, etc. on Gnome 2.28?Two possible methods to fix this problem :
From a terminalSimply apply this command :
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons true && gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/buttons_have_icons true
With a GUIOpen 'gconf-editor', go Desktop / Gnome / Interface and enable "menus have icons" and also "buttons have icons"
Themes Manager only displays the _default_ theme?If you have the version 2.1.3 (newer or equal), there is maybe a little problem with IPv6 (due to an old DNS server we guess). You can try this workaround:
If you still have the bug, please report this bug to our forum!
- Edit this file ~/.curlrc with a text editor, e.g. with gedit
- Add this line
Skype is launched twiceIf your Skype launcher launches a new instance rather than maximizing the existing instance from the Notification Area, you can use this method.
(NB:This issue is true for Ubuntu (please update if this is true for other distro or OS.)
Credits go to Jackwizard (More info on http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=332401)
sudo mv ~/Desktop/skype-single-instance /usr/local/bin/
- Then change the command-line of your Skype launcher to
- If you intend to merge your launcher with the taskbar-instance of Skype, you need to edit the extra parameters of your launcher and specify the class of program as:
- As you launch the script for the first time, a prompt will ask you to authorise it to use Skype, accept that.
Now each time you click on the Skype launcher, the existing instance should be maximised.
Trash applet tries to open Nautilus in Xfcein a terminal type:
gconftool --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/trash/command 'thunar %s'
Wrong application used when opening a fileIf the Folders or Quick-Browser or Trash applets open files with a wrong application, it's because you have to specify in your file-manager the association between a kind of file and the program that should open it.
On Gnome, open Nautilus, then right-click on the file -> properties, then in the "Open with" tab, you select the desired application.
On XFCE, you can use gconftool to do that manually.
On KDE, try with Dolphin.
Dock is not placed correctly on the screenIf you use Metacity as the Window Manager, and the dock is not placed correctly (its orientation is good but it's as if the screen size was 0), then try the following:
open gconf-editor, and set the key /apps/metacity/general/disable_workarounds to false