- F.A.Q one question one answer
A black background ?
- ATI cards : try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Drivers aren't correct !
- Intel cards : some of them work with OpenGL (see the follow section) or try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Some drivers aren't correct !
- KDE4 : launch systemsettings and do that : Look & Feel --> Desktop --> Desktop Effects --> Enable Desktop Effects. You can also have a look to this post: here.
- Gnome without Compiz (just with Metacity) : apply this command from a terminal :
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager true
- More details : Composite Manager
A black background? Invisible icons?
- Intel cards: Cairo-Dock with OpenGL support seems to be "fully" supported, more informations here
- Nvidia cards : It has worked for a long time! More informations here
- ATI cards : Cairo-Dock with OpenGL support seems to be "fully" supported, more informations here
- But you can use Cairo-Dock with a fake transparency in the System menu in the config panel of Cairo-Dock (or by using it with a black wallpaper )
(S)MPlayerIf you have any problem with (S)MPlayer :
- Try to put the video output to gl2 (in the settings of SMPlayer)
- Or use this command to launch (S)MPlayer:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && smplayer &
Others apps based on Qt4 like VirtualBox, Skype, VLC(for VLC, there was a bug only if the option 'Integrate video in interface' is enabled and vlc devs have added this workaround into the application)
It's the same problem that (S)MPlayer, so you can use this command in order to launch your application, e.g.:
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && skype
But you can also make a little script:
- Create a file with the extention ".sh" (launch_virtualbox.sh for example)
- Add these two lines :
- Change the right execution (Right clic on the file / Properties / Permissions / Execution => or directly :
chmod +x launch_virtualbox.sh
- Use this file to execute this app.
Problem with installation / update ?If you have something like this:
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/cairo-dock/default-indicator.png', which is also in package cairo-dock-data
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cairo-dock_2.0.0_all.deb: tentative de remplacement de « /usr/share/cairo-dock/icon-mouse.png », qui appartient aussi au paquet cairo-dock-data.
You need to do the following :
sudo apt-get remove cairo-dock* --purge
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
Problem to change/save your configuration ?It could be a permission problem:
chmod u+rwx -R ~/.config/cairo-dock/
Problem with a gauge ?If you have an output like this:
xterm -e ' wget "http://themes.glx-dock.org/gauges/turbo-night-fuel/turbo-night-fuel.tar.gz" -O "/tmp/cairo-dock-net-file.AfLFEO" -t 2 -T 5'
Just swap gauges in your enabled plugins with it s equivalent starting with capital letter (eg. turbo-night-fuel => Turbo-night-fuel).
Problem with wifi applet ?
It's a problem of access right to iwconfig command.
As root (root = sudo for Ubuntu for example), do this commands in a terminal:
chmod u+x /sbin/iwconfig # or "chmod 755 /sbin/iwconfig" if it still doesn't work
ln -s /sbin/iwconfig /usr/bin/iwconfig
Problem when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically ?
If you have some bugs when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically at startup and not when it's launched manually : Try to launch it with a delay.
In your session manager (help here), use this command :
sh -c "sleep 15 && cairo-dock -o"
Change any parameters according to your configuration (here we have 15 seconds and Cairo-Dock with OpenGL)
A message at startup
Read it or go here for more help !
No theme available?
ProxyDo you use a proxy to be connected to Internet? If yes, you have to configure Curl.
It's easy, edit (or create) this file '~/.curlrc', e.g. with gedit :Past these informations and modify the last line with the complete URL of your proxy :
If you have to use an username and a password, add this line :
#We want a 30 minute timeout:
#. .. and we use a proxy for all accesses:
proxy = proxy.our.domain.com:8080
Old releaseAfter a problem with our registrar (vivadomaine) we have to change our domain name. So if you use an older version that the 2.1.3, please update it !
Something else?Maybe your connexion is too slow (or you're too far from our server), open the config panel of Cairo-Dock (right click on the dock / Cairo-Dock / Settings), click on the Advanced Mode (on the bottom-left) / System module / Connexion to the server / and increase all numbers.
No icon on menu, GMenu, etc. on Gnome 2.28?Two possible methods to fix this problem :
From a terminalSimply apply this command :
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons true && gconftool-2 --type bool --set /desktop/gnome/interface/buttons_have_icons true
With a GUIOpen 'gconf-editor', go Desktop / Gnome / Interface and enable "menus have icons" and also "buttons have icons"