- F.A.Q one question one answer
A black background ?
- ATI cards : try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Drivers aren't correct !
- Intel cards : some of them work with OpenGL (see the follow section) or try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Some drivers aren't correct !
- KDE4 : launch systemsettings and do that : Look & Feel --> Desktop --> Desktop Effects --> Enable Desktop Effects
- Gnome without Compiz (just with Metacity) : launch gconf-editor, and open apps / metacity / general and enable composing-manager.
- More details : Composite Manager
- Nvidia cards : Normally, it works well out of box with property drivers.
- But if you have this warning message : "cannot find -lGL", try this command in a terminal
cd /usr/lib/ && sudo ln -s libGL.so.1 libGL.so
- Or if you have that
. It's maybe because your user isn't linked to the video group. With a text editor (gedit, nano, vim, kate, etc.) modify this file /etc/group : and add your user name on the video group : (where XX is a free number (the last one + 1) and USER is your user name.
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission not allowed).
NVIDIA: Direct rendering failed; attempting indirect rendering.
- ATI cards : Sorry but already now (2009 May), ATI drivers are just crappy . But there are many reasons to hope and we may have a real driver one day . So wait and use Cairo-Dock without OpenGL. (cairo-dock -c)
=> Cairo-Dock with OpenGL support seems to be fully supported
(maybe with some modifications (look here
)) on Ubuntu Karmic
(tested Aug 2009 with the last ATI xorg drivers and the last kernel (2.6.31-x-generic)
It seems that Catatyst will support Cairo-Dock soon (news from AMD devs for the future drivers planed for November 09)
- But you can use Cairo-Dock with a fake transparency in the System menu in the config panel of Cairo-Dock (or by using with a black wallpaper )
(S)MPlayerIf you have any problem with (S)MPlayer :
- Try to put the video output to gl2 (in the settings of SMPlayer)
- Or use this command to launch (S)MPlayer:
Others apps based on Qt4 like VirtualBox, Skype, VLC(for VLC, there is a bug only if the option 'Integrate video in interface' is enabled)
It's the same problem that (S)MPlayer.
- Create a file with the extention ".sh" (launch_virtualbox.sh for example)
- Add these two lines :
- Change the right execution (Right clic on the file / Properties / Permissions / Execution => or directly :
chmod +x launch_virtualbox.sh
- Use this file to execute this app.
Problem with installation / update ?If you have something like this:
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/cairo-dock/default-indicator.png', which is also in package cairo-dock-data
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cairo-dock_2.0.0_all.deb: tentative de remplacement de « /usr/share/cairo-dock/icon-mouse.png », qui appartient aussi au paquet cairo-dock-data.
You have to do that :
sudo apt-get remove cairo-dock* --purge
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
Problem to change/save your configuration ?It's maybe a permission problem:
chmod u+rwx -R ~/.config/cairo-dock/
Problem with a gauge ?If you have an output like this:
xterm -e ' wget "http://themes.glx-dock.org/gauges/turbo-night-fuel/turbo-night-fuel.tar.gz" -O "/tmp/cairo-dock-net-file.AfLFEO" -t 2 -T 5'
Just change gauges in your enabled plugins by those beginning with a capital (eg. turbo-night-fuel => Turbo-night-fuel).
Problem with wifi applet ?
It's a problem of right acces to iwconfig command.
With root right (root = sudo for Ubuntu for example), do this commands in a terminal:
chmod u+x /sbin/iwconfig # or "chmod 755 /sbin/iwconfig" if it's doesn't work
ln -s /sbin/iwconfig /usr/bin/iwconfig
Problem when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically ?
If you have some bug when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically at startup and not when it's launched manually : Try to launch it with a delay.
In your session manager (help here), use this command :
sh -c "sleep 15 && cairo-dock -o"
Change any parameters according to your configuration (here we have 15 seconds and Cairo-Dock with OpenGL)
A message at startup
Read it or go here for more help !
Online users :
Powered by ElementSpeak © 2007 Adrien Pilleboue, 2009-2013 Matthieu Baerts.
Dock based on CSS Dock Menu (Ndesign) with jQuery. Icons by zgegball
Cairo-Dock is a free software under GNU-GPL3 licence. First stable version created by Fabounet.
Many thanks to TuxFamily for the web Hosting and Mav for the domain name.