- F.A.Q one question one answer
A black background ?
- ATI cards : try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Drivers aren't correct !
- Intel cards : some of them work with OpenGL (see the follow section) or try without OpenGL (cairo-dock -c) => Some drivers aren't correct !
- KDE4 : launch systemsettings and do that : Look & Feel --> Desktop --> Desktop Effects --> Enable Desktop Effects
- Gnome without Compiz (just with Metacity) : launch gconf-editor, and open apps / metacity / general and enable composing-manager.
- More details : Composite Manager
- Nvidia cards : Normally, it works well out of box with property drivers.
- But if you have this warning message : "cannot find -lGL", try this command in a terminal
cd /usr/lib/ && sudo ln -s libGL.so.1 libGL.so
- Or if you have that
. It's maybe because your user isn't linked to the video group. With a text editor (gedit, nano, vim, kate, etc.) modify this file /etc/group : and add your user name on the video group : (where XX is a free number (the last one + 1) and USER is your user name.
NVIDIA: could not open the device file /dev/nvidiactl (Permission not allowed).
NVIDIA: Direct rendering failed; attempting indirect rendering.
- ATI cards : Sorry but already now (2009 May), ATI drivers are just crappy . But there are many reasons to hope and we may have a real driver one day . So wait and use Cairo-Dock without OpenGL. (cairo-dock -c)
- But you can use Cairo-Dock with a fake transparency in the System menu in the config panel of Cairo-Dock (or by using with a black wallpaper )
(S)MPlayerIf you have any problem with (S)MPlayer :
- Try to put the video output to gl2 (in the settings of SMPlayer)
- Or use this command to launch (S)MPlayer:
Others apps based on Qt4 like VirtualBoxIt's the same problem that (S)MPlayer.
- Create a file with the extention ".sh" (launch_virtualbox.sh for example)
- Add these two lines :
- Change the right execution (Right clic on the file / Properties / Permissions / Execution => or directly :
chmod +x launch_virtualbox.sh
- Use this file to execute this app.
Problem with installation / update ?If you have something like this:
trying to overwrite `/usr/share/cairo-dock/default-indicator.png', which is also in package cairo-dock-data
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/cairo-dock_2.0.0_all.deb: tentative de remplacement de « /usr/share/cairo-dock/icon-mouse.png », qui appartient aussi au paquet cairo-dock-data.
You have to do that :
sudo apt-get remove cairo-dock* --purge
sudo apt-get install cairo-dock cairo-dock-plug-ins
Problem to change/save your configuration ?It's maybe a permission problem:
chmod u+rwx -R ~/.config/cairo-dock/
Problem with a gauge ?If you have an output like this:
xterm -e ' wget "http://themes.glx-dock.org/gauges/turbo-night-fuel/turbo-night-fuel.tar.gz" -O "/tmp/cairo-dock-net-file.AfLFEO" -t 2 -T 5'
Just change gauges in your enabled plugins by those beginning with a capital (eg. turbo-night-fuel => Turbo-night-fuel).
Problem with wifi applet ?
It's a problem of right acces to iwconfig command.
With root right (root = sudo for Ubuntu for example), do this commands in a terminal:
chmod u+x /sbin/iwconfig # or "chmod 755 /sbin/iwconfig" if it's doesn't work
ln -s /sbin/iwconfig /usr/bin/iwconfig
Problem when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically ?
If you have some bug when Cairo-Dock is launched automatically at startup and not when it's launched manually : Try to launch it with a delay.
In your session manager (help here), use this command :
sh -c "sleep 15 && cairo-dock -o"
Change any parameters according to your configuration (here we have 15 seconds and Cairo-Dock with OpenGL)
A message at startup
Read it or go here for more help !
Powered by ElementSpeak © 2007 Adrien Pilleboue, 2009-2013 Matthieu Baerts.
Dock based on CSS Dock Menu (Ndesign) with jQuery. Icons by zgegball
Cairo-Dock is a free software under GNU-GPL3 licence. First stable version created by Fabounet.
Many thanks to TuxFamily for the web Hosting and Mav for the domain name.